Terra Angelica is located near historic Downtown Cumberland, in Allegany County, Maryland
14701 Smouse’s Mill Rd., NE
Cumberland, MD 21502
History of Terra Angelica
This property was deeded to Peter Smouse in 1790 for his service in the Revolutionary War by William Paca, Governor of Maryland. The 650 acre tract was subdivided in the past for two school sites, Union Grove Campgrounds, a cemetery and numerous home sites. It now contains 247 acres and serves as a tree farm, wildlife management area and farmland.
In 1979 it became the first land put into conservation easement in Allegany County. The original home was a log house which burned in the early 1840’s. The present house was built about 1845 by John Jacob Smouse, a builder and son of Peter Smouse. It was named to the National Register of historic places in 1973.
The home served as a safe haven for the Underground Railroad during the Civil War. The slaves would travel up the C & O Canal from Virginia to Evitts Creek, and then up the Creek into Pennsylvania. The back of this property is 1/4 mile from the Mason Dixon line. The original site was a self-contained community with grist mill, blacksmith shop, school house, cemetery, church meeting area and homes. The Smouse Family inhabited the home until 1945 when it was bought by Mr. & Mrs. Albert Elliott Windish and modernized with plumbing, heating, electricity and a three car garage with an apartment for his parents.
Mary Miltenberger, Proprietor
MS in Psychology, IBP/International Body Talk Practitioner, Essential Oils Therapist, BS in Education.